Councilman Crear Honors Former Mayor Ron Lurie

Councilman Crear Honors Former Mayor Ron Lurie

December 23, 2020

LAS VEGAS (KSNV) — Former Las Vegas Mayor and businessman Ron Lurie has died, city Councilman Cedric Crear said Wednesday. He was 79.

"Sad to hear of the passing of former LV Councilman & Mayor Ron Lurie," Crear tweeted. "I am blessed to have spent quality time [with] him over the years."

Lurie served as mayor of the city of Las Vegas from 1987 to 1991 after winning a contentious election against casino owner Bob Stupak.

"I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of former Las Vegas Mayor Ron Lurie," Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak tweeted. "Ron was a dear friend & an exceptional public leader who devoted two decades of his life to public service. Kathy and I are holding the Lurie family close in our hearts."

He was also a city councilman and gaming executive, working in sales for the video poker machine company International Game Technology.

After leaving politics, Lurie became executive vice president and general manager of Arizona Charlie's hotel-casino, according to a profile in the Southern Nevada Jewish Heritage Project. He is the namesake of the casino's restaurant, Ron's Steakhouse.

Golden Entertainment, the parent company of Arizona Charlie's, released a statement on Lurie's passing:

"We are greatly saddened to hear about the passing of our friend, Ron Lurie. Ron made an indelible mark on Las Vegas through his work as a leader in the gaming industry, as a philanthropist, and as the former Mayor of Las Vegas. Through his work as a civil servant, in his gaming career and in his daily life, Ron was a champion for our community and was committed to making Las Vegas a better place for future generations. He was a valued member of the Golden Entertainment family as the former General Manager of Arizona Charlie’s, where he continued to serve as an ambassador for the company in his retirement. This is a tremendous loss for Las Vegas, and our hearts and condolences are with his family.
Lurie’s family tells News 3 he had been battling a type of cancer that was manageable with medicine."

But after he contracted COVID-19, his son says "he was unable to manage the therapy required to get past this pandemic."

He passed away peacefully at Nathan Adelson Hospice.